Have you ever considered knowledge transfer as a way of learning? At SThree, we believe reverse mentoring is a great way to foster talent and share knowledge throughout the business where ‘juniors’ are mentors and ‘experienced staff’ are mentees.
For both mentors and mentees, this programme plays an important role in shaping our future, and thoroughly informs and challenges the way we think, act and resolve problems.
Our initial goal with the reverse mentoring programme is for our experienced people to become more proficient with technology, more knowledgeable about the power of digital revolution and gain a better understanding of the behaviours and motivations of a younger demographic.
The programme will be a driver to help develop creative ideas for our business and create valuable insights on how our senior staff interact with younger employees, how we communicate and what implicates the rapidly changing trends across businesses.
- Embed digital transformation and diversity in SThree, starting with our Benelux and France region
- Break down intergenerational silos and boundaries
- Adapt to the mindset of 'modern customers'
- Improve staff retention and acquisition
- Provide an opportunity to learn from others in different departments
- Build stronger relationships across SThree
- Support training of a new generation of advisors in key practices
Benefits for mentors
Mentors will be a recruitment consultant or support services employee who might only be at the beginning of their career with us. They will benefit from:
- A greater understanding of the challenges experienced by senior staff in the organisation
- Enhance their own skills in listening, questioning and providing feedback
- Learning new perspectives and approaches from the mentee
- Demonstrate their expertise and share knowledge with others
- Enhance their leadership skills and challenge their own knowledge
- Receive corporate knowledge that would otherwise take years to acquire
- Increased job satisfaction
We have also set up a specific workshop that our mentors will benefit from to ensure they receive guidance to be successful in their role. It will be delivered by our performance coaches.
Benefits for mentees
Mentees will be managers and directors and experienced Support Services employees. They will benefit from:
- An even broader view of the digital world and modern way to do business
- New or different perspectives on their personal brand and impact
- A chance to become more self-aware and look closely at their opportunities and issues
- Improved innovation governance decisions
- More enlightened strategic plans
- Increased awareness of tacit knowledge with internal employee attitudes
- Attract more millennials and ensure they're engaged when joining our teams
Reverse mentoring will be more informal than other programmes we’re currently running at SThree with the option for meetings to be taken outside the office. The idea is for our staff to allow time within a defined framework, to discuss topics on digital, diversity and development.
In the spirit of our belief in a meritocratic approach, organisational hierarchy should be left outside the door with mentors and mentees collaborating as equal learning partners.
If you have more questions about our reverse mentoring programme, get in touch with our Benelux & France Innovation Manager Reynald Bourdeaux; and to learn more about SThree and how we’re supporting our people to have a career with no limits, browse our careers guide.