Finding the best people for your business is not cheap. This is why you need to make sure costly mistakes are avoided during the hiring process.
Here are some tips and tricks on how to avoid bad and costly hiring.
- 1) Find the person with the best competencies
- Whilst fitting into a workplace is important, some people tend to choose the most likeable over the most competent person. The “best” personality traits will not guarantee success in the position.
- 2) Take your time to complete the process
- Avoid making quick decisions to shorten the process and be realistic about the timeline of finding a suitable candidate. Time is money but bad hiring can be very costly too.
- 3) Ask for references
- Both supervisors and peers can be useful sources of information about the candidate’s past experiences. Don’t hesitate to do some background checks.
- 4) Follow a formal process
- Map out the process and everyone’s responsibilities to avoid the use of backdoors and losing time with inefficient follow-up.
- 5) Know what you are looking for
- Have a clear view on what’s required for the job and prioritize the competencies that are most important for the role.
- 6) Use all available channels
- Sourcing candidates has become more than only a matter of putting up job posts. Nowadays, social media and personal networking can be of great value in the hiring process.