Congratulations to our CEO Gary Elden OBE for being named a finalist in the category ‘Outstanding Individual Corporate Leadership’ at the UK's National CSR Awards. We're wishing him the best of luck for tomorrow's Awards Ceremony in London where the winners will be announced.
The award recognises individuals who have promoted socially responsible practices within their chosen field and have played a significant leadership role in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
Let’s take a look at some of Gary’s CSR highlights
- Gary is the driving force behind our newly established SThree Foundation. In partnership with charity Generating Genius, this initiative supports bright young people from underprivileged and diverse backgrounds in the STEM industries (science, technology, engineering and mathematics).
- Among others, Gary gave an inspiring speech at the Foundation’s launch event in November last year to raise awareness of the importance of supporting the future STEM talent.
- Gary is also playing a leading role on our SThree Group CSR Committee and is mobilising the entire business to embrace our CSR vision of ‘Transforming Lives through Skills and Work’.
- He shares his personal story on a regular basis with various groups of people, including school students and adults who are currently seeking employment.
- Gary hosts celebration lunches for our apprentices and coaches them during the year. He also talent spots young people from underprivileged backgrounds and creates new opportunities for them.
- He volunteers with a wide range of charities, including City Gateway and holds a leading role in developing and implementing our inclusion and diversity strategy.
“The impact of Gary speaking to our service users and City Gateway staff alike has been superb. It is amazing to have such a dedicated and supportive partner - SThree is really setting a precedent!” says Rebecca Butterworth, Director of Youth Programmes, City Gateway.
Building long term partnerships
But it’s also our fundraising and other charity partners Gary is personally supporting.
In 2013, he spent a week in Zambia and Malawi to see our long-term fundraising partner SOS Children’s Villages’ projects first-hand and get to know the orphans living in the SThree sponsored house in the SOS Chipata Village.
Additionally, he organised a fully funded university scholarship for Christina, a student he met while in Malawi who is now over half way through her business degree. Gary has remained focused on the priorities he saw during his trip to Chipata and since then has led efforts to provide playground areas, educational resources and a new medical truck.
Opening up opportunities for young people
Something which is very close to Gary’s heart is supporting the Powerlist Foundation where he’s not only a trustee but also chairing the Fundraising Committee. The charity provides opportunities for young people with high potential, with a focus on developing leaders from diverse backgrounds.
Gary coaches the Powerlist’s CEO, runs group mentoring sessions for young leaders and provides business planning advice to the charity.
“Gary coaching me as a CEO of a growing charity has given me an insight into how to develop the Powerlist Foundation into a successful organisation. SThree’s involvement with everything has been incredible, and is a positive example for other companies!” says Veronica Martin, CEO, Powerlist Foundation.
Some of Gary’s personal contributions
- Gary funded 50 bikes for children in Chipata, Zambia who would otherwise have had to walk very long distances to school.
- He regularly donates football season passes for charity draws and provides the top prizes for our big Xmas raffles.
- Gary is also really passionate about creating opportunities for young people from underprivileged backgrounds and utilises his resources and networks to drive social change. He walks the talk and helps change the perception of the recruitment industry in the process
Congratulations again to Gary for this very well deserved achievement and good luck to him for tomorrow.
If you want to find out more about SThree's and Gary's CSR achievements, take a look at our CSR Report 2016.