Looking for a job can be a challenging experience. There are a lot of qualified professionals on the employment market, all competing for a limited number of positions.
If each job needs different qualifications, it doesn’t mean recruiters are not looking for the same things. They all want to make sure they select the best of the best. But what makes them hire one person over another?
The following 5 things will help you stand out from the crowd:
- 1. Core Competences
- Do your skills fit with the job description? Demonstrate that your skills and experience are valuable for the targeted job. Demonstrate how good you are at what you do and how good you have been in your former jobs by giving concrete examples. Keep on maintaining and upgrading your level of competence as it is the most important factor in determining the level of success in your career.
- 2. Company Fit
- Company fit goes beyond the job requirements and relates to the candidate’s match with the company’s organisation in terms of size, work environment, management style, values and team. Each company has its own culture. Therefore, they want to make sure you would be fulfilled working as part of the organisation and their team members would be happy to work with you.
- 3. Integrity
- Integrity is the most important quality recruiters look for in a candidate. It is the base of a trustworthy and long-term collaboration. Integrity begins by being honest both with yourself and others. This means that you need to have a clear idea about who you are, what you offer and what you are after. It is important to be aware of your strengths and weaknesses but also to be honest regarding your own work story.
- 4. Passion
- Recruiters look for passionate people who are not just looking for a job but who want THEIR job. The perfect candidate should be ready to commit to the organisation and align with its needs. Link the opportunity to your personal interests and career plans and show your motivation by doing some research about the job and company.
- 5. Credibility
- Professional self-confidence and dependability are essential. As part of your personal brand, you should be able to demonstrate why you are the best person for the job and give a clear overview of your achievements and results.
- To summarise, recruiters look for more than an educational background or set experience; they look for THE candidate with the right skills and the right values. So make sure you build your profile for your target audience and highlight your skills that are relevant to the position you are applying for.