Millennials, aka Generation Y, are known to be quite a difficult audience to please when it comes to finding the right job content, the right work environment and the right corporate culture.
All of these aspects have become significantly more important in their quest to find the perfect next step in their unwinding professional life, and being an opportunity worthy of their engagement is a challenge not to be underestimated.
Here are 6 tips on how to make your voice heard among young professionals in 2015.
- 1. Employer branding goes digital
- Using social media to build a brand for your company is crucial in this age of drones and tablets. Increase your visibility in the digital stratosphere by updating your Facebook and LinkedIn profile with relevant information and visual media. Additionally, make your employees active users of LinkedIn and interact with communities on Twitter.
- 2. Job advertising goes digital
- Easy-to-use mobile applications are the way forward in 2015. Try to accommodate to people applying via Smartphone and social media. This will make it easier for millennials to take the “big step” and won’t leave them doubting their decision to apply for a job with your company.
- 3. Employees go digital
- A well-known and effective way of attracting talent is by using your employees’ already existing connections. Teach your colleagues how to up their game regarding personal branding on platforms such as LinkedIn and make the most of their own network.
- 4. Communicate clearly
- Make it simple, use their language and be consistent in all information you send out. The current society of knowledge requires us to stand out in the crowd by having a clear message with predefined goals and realistic expectations for everyone.
- 5. Communicate with a purpose
- Try to be an advisor in their career and help them make the right decisions. In the end you want to attract the right person, so don’t hesitate to make it very clear during the recruitment process that this is a two-way street. The puzzle won’t fit unless the pieces are connected.
- 6. Communicate on a personal level
- No one likes to be a number, especially not millennials. Treat every single candidate as a unique person with their own story and don’t fall back on previously identified patterns. Allow your candidates regular and individual follow-ups from the first contact till they have made the decision to join your company.
- In conclusion, it would be stating the obvious to say that a strong communication strategy towards millennials is key in attracting the right talent these days. Many companies struggle to hire suitable candidates. However, with the right mindset and tools, we could turn out to be winners in the race for talent.
This article was written by our Talent Acquisition Team in Belgium.
See all current job opportunities in Belgium here!